In order to actually do this walk I appreciate that it takes a massive amount of self discipline and training and today is the day it happened. Originally planning a walk from Roseberry Topping to Captain Cooks Monument (about 6 miles) I noticed it was predicted rain, not the best conditions for the first day of the rest of my life, so I picked a leisurely stroll to Yarm and back. With Nat and Dad we set off. It was the first conscious day of training for my big C2C and I learnt a few things;
- I cannot walk properly - not the best thing to learn while planning the C2C but I now know that a Charlie Chaplin type walk will not get me anywhere
- Not to wear shoes with a 1 inch width sole - who the hell has a sole 1 inch wide anyway, I need a decent pair of walking shoes
- I walked 9.5 miles in 3 hours 20 mins - it was just under 3mph
- The flat road to Yarm isn't quite the same terrain as the hilly Pennines or the bogs in North Yorkshire, so 3mph will be wishful thinking
- The Coast to Coast is going to be hard
To be fair though Nat and Col were pushing on and walked like veterans, both of them looking forward to the next jolly out. All aboard the walking bus!!